Topic 4

After reading this paper about OER- enabled pedagogy, I realized that most of my classes at University were taught in this way. Firstly, we learned about open pedagogy and OER (open educational resources) in the last three assigned readings in Topic 3. Then we are extending these two topics now in this reading called “Defining OER – enabled Pedagogy.”.  In this paper, it said that OER – enabled pedagogy is about teaching and learning practices that are only possible or practical in the context of the 5R (retain, reuse, revise, remix and redistribute) permission of ER. Initially, I thought the 5R is similar to the 3 sets with open pedagogy that I read in Topic 3. However, as I read about the definitions of the retain, reuse, revise, remix and redistribute, I realized that the 5R and the 3 sets with open pedagogy are different. For the 3 sets of open pedagogy, it is more like a definition, what kind of feature the teachers and students need to have; for the 5R, it also provides definition, but a more specific one. It is more like a category of what exactly students should be assigned, and it could only be an OER – enabled pedagogy when the course fits all the 5R.

When I was reading this paper, I thought about linking OER-enabled pedagogy with my experiences with University courses. I read about the idea of the Soap Sculpture math class. This summer, I took a sculpture class in May, and I believe it fits all the requirements that OER-enabled pedagogy has. Firstly, we can download and copy every course material that was provided by our instructor, we can use them in any way we want, we could translate all the contents in a language we want, we could also create new files based on the materials provided to us, and we can share them with our classmates. Then, for the four questions used in the examples in the assigned reading to define whether a course is an OER-enabled pedagogy, we do have to create new artifacts, and these artifacts are meant to help us practice setting up our portfolio. Also, we were invited to share our ideas, creations, and sculptures publicly, and we were invited to license our new artifacts openly. I agree that some of the artifacts are disposable assignments which means I do not even look at them after receiving the grade. Still, I did learn the skills that I won’t forget about creating and organizing my portfolio.