Topic 3

After reading the three assigned readings, I have learned about the open pedagogy, OERs (open educational resources), OEP (Open educational practices), filtered internet, AUPs(Acceptable use policies), and I have also noticed the connections between those terms.
BeforeI read the reading named A guide to making open textbooks with students, I have never heard about open pedagogy. However, I immediately linked the open pedagogy to open learning and openc purses which were discussed in the assigned readings in the previous topics. Initially, I thought is was another term associate with online learning, but after I read about it, I noticed that open pedagogy could also associate with all kinds of learning, like face to face learning, online learning, or the mix of face to face and online learning.

There were three sets of open pedagogy which were bring up by Claude Paquette. The first one is autonomy and interdependence. For my understanding of this part, it means the self control of the learners and the dependence between online platforms and the users (learners and educators). For the second set, the freedom and responsibility, I think it mostly talks about the freedom of choosing the ways of learning, the technology to use and using what kind of equipment to access. The responsibility is more about participating and responsibility which is strongly assocaited with the third set: democracy and participation. For the responsibility and participation part, I believe its also associate with the AUPs(acceptable use policies) which regulates student’s engagement with information technology. As open pedagogy is about find the best ways to teach their students, it is also important to protect them. Therefore besides the protection of the filtered internet that schools provide, students also have responsibilities to be aware of what information they search and using appropriate word while participating in open pedagogy.

Control of the technology and internet by media organizations or community groups were also discussed in reading named Chapter 4: Design Principles for Indigenous Learning Spaces, which reminds me of the technology control of our school. For example, we can only get access to school computers by using our account name and passport, which is the first step of protecting our privacy. Then we must log out when we were finished with using the computers, which also protect our privacy. Also, our activities on the school account were remembered and monitored by school, which could find out the inappropriate records and keep the whole school online environment safe.